I don’t get hung over
I don’t get hung over. In fact, I haven’t been hung over in years. Want to learn how I do it, read on.
1. Hydrate– this one should be obvious, but sometimes it’s tough to remember when you’re in the midst of partying. I always drink 2 gallons of water a day, so for me it’s easy to remember. But for the non obsessive hydrator, be sure to drink lots and lots of water prior to drinking. Remember, add sea salt to get those minerals and help your kidney’s out also.
2. Drink 2-3 cups of green tea– one thing you probably know about alcohol is it’s severely damaging to your liver. The faster your liver can detoxify the alcohol from your system, the less hung over and healthier you will be. Green tea contains certain nutrients that help the liver speed up this process. Drink 2-3 cups throughout the day and even up to boozing. It makes an enormous difference.
3. Veggies (kale, broccoli, watercress, dandelion)– before my brother’s bachelor party began, I was eating a large bunch of kale and everyone was asking me what the hell I was doing. What I told them, and I’m telling you, is that these vegetables contain chlorophyl which again (similar to green tea) help detoxify the toxins from the alcohol out of our systems. Needless to say, everyone asked for a little bit when I told them I don’t get hung over from all the veggies. If you own a nutribullet or a vitamix, throw lots of vegetables into your drink (shoot for 2) hours before eating. If there is any “special secret” it’s this one.
4. Add lemon and lime to your drinks– I add a little lemon or lime to my whiskey, and to my beer (depending on what kind it is). These citrus fruits are notorious for their ability to help detoxify (hence used in cleanses) and like I keep saying with almost every other tip, they help remove the alcohol from your system. They also contain a descent amount of vitamin c and by adding them to your booze, they reduce the glycemic load of the alcohol.
5. Extra zinc– zinc is known as the man’s mineral, and for good reason. It’s essential in testosterone production and from yesterday’s blog you read that alcohol (beer in particular) suppresses testosterone and increases estrogen in the body. Take 30 mg of CHELATED zinc with a protein/fat dominant meal before hand.
*One thing to note about alcohol and drinking. When people ask me, “why can’t I lose weight?” or “I do everything so well, but I can’t seem to get to the next step” And often the first question I ask is, “do you drink?” and almost 100% of the time the answer is yes. Drinking is perhaps the ultimate way to sabotage your fat loss, muscle building, and health efforts. Until you get to the body fat or physique that you want, alcohol can not be part of your plan. Sorry folks.
Check out yesterday’s blog, I wrote about Alcohol and it’s plus and minuses.